The Legend of Raja Ampat (Four Kings)
The history of Raja Ampat (Four Kings) comes in many variations. The most popular version from the origin of Raja Ampat people is as follow. It was a couple husband and wife who lived in the area of Wawiyai Kabui village near the Kabui bay. When they were seeking a food into the forest, they reached on the Waikeo (Wai means water and Kew means bay) riverbank. They found six dragon eggs. Then the eggs stored in the noken (the origin Paupua people bag) and kept it at home. At night they found the five eggs already hatched into four sons and one daughter. They wore the royal descendants. These children named: War who become a king in Waigeo, Betani in Salawati, Dohar in Misool (Lilinta) and Mohamad in Bantana (Waigeo). The female child named Pintolee, was found pregnant, her male brother put her in the shell and floated her until she arrived in Numfor island. The other egg failed to hatch. This egg became a stone and it named Kapatuai but it was treated as a king. This stone put in a special room with two stones serving as guardians on both side of the entrance.
Thus, from the part of Indonesian history, Raja Ampat Archipelago was part of the region of Tidore Sultanate in the 15th century. This Sultanate was a great kingdom centered in Maluku Islands. To manage the kingdom, the Tidore Sultanate appointed four local kings to arrange the island of Raja Ampat where become the fourth largest island to this day: Waigeo, Batanta, Salawati and Misool. The term of four Kings who manage the islands becomes the lineage of the name Raja Ampat.
Transportation and Accommodation Trip to Raja Ampat & Cost:
- International Flight from Kuala Lumpur / Singapore / Bangkok / Australia to Jakarta, Denpasar or Makassar. Then continue with local flight to Sorong (Edward Domine Osok Airport), West Papua.
- Domestic Flight: Jakarta, Surabaya, Denpasar to Makassar or Ambon then continue to Sorong (Edward Domine Osok), West Papua.
- From Sorong to Wasai, Raja Ampat by boat/ship/Ferry: Marina Express boat, Ave Maria boat or speed boat chartering from the Pelabuhan Rakyat Sorong, West Papua (Behind the Swiss Bell Hotel). Departure time: Marina Express Ferry is at 14.00 local time | Ave Maria boat usually departs within 1-2 hours after Marina Express. These schedule are the same as from Wasai to Sorong.
- Wasai to homestay, There are many homestay available in different area of Raja Ampat. Usually they will pick up you at the Wasai port. The only option to reach your homestay is using boat chartering. Please ask detail itinerary from your booked homestay.
Note: flight ticket is vary from your flight provider: Sriwijaya, Garuda, Nam Air, Batavia Air, Merpati, Air Express, and Lion Air | Ferry ticket about 150.000 IDR | VISA Raja Ampat (PIN/TAG) 1.000.000 IDR for Foreigner and 500.000 IDR for local. This Visa valid one year | Average Homestay price start from 300.000 IDR - vary from each islands. The Airport of Marinda in Wasai island is under develpoed. It will facilities the accommodation of Raja Ampat without transit to Sorong City.
Things to do in Raja Ampat and Trip Advisor Guide:
- Individual or Group Backpacker
- Advance trip difficulty
- Recommended for teenage, adult, family with children, couple
- Sun bathing, beach lover, swimming, world class snorkeling and diving, hiking or tracking. It is also possible for fishing. Diving and Snorkeling click following Link: Best Dive Site!
Travel Advisor Equipment and Tools for Your Vacation in Raja Ampat:
- Swimming suit
- Snorkeling Gear and Diving suit
- Personal stuff including medicine
- Towel, Dry bag, Underwater / Outdoor cam
- Sun block, Mosquito lotions
Other Trip Advisor / Holiday packages recommendation:
|Star View from one of Pianemo Atol|
- Wasai Island: Najwa Indah +6281248848480 | Waisai Indah +6285244155204 | Marcy +6281218107800 | Surya Hotel +62811486625 | Maras Risen +6281355626969 | Novalin +6285254289764 | Cormansiwin +6281248023025 | Phuyaka Mengge +6281344960065 | Waisai Beach Hotel +6281247553799
- Waigeo Island: Villa Waigeo +6281247553799 | Waiwo Dive Resort +6285344515123 | Raja Ampat Dive Resort +6281248442284 | Mangkorkodon +62399040888 | Yenwapnoor Maria's Homestay +6281354054198 +6282199347626
- Batbitbem Island: Misool Eco Resort +62951-322613 +6281344991771 +6286812135121
- Kurkapa Island: Raja Ampat Divelodge +628123872672
- Birie Island: Papua Paradise Eco Resort +6281344892671
- Mansuar Island: Sorido Bay Resort +62951-328038 +62951-328028 | Kri Eco Resort +62951-328038 +62951-328028
- Sawinggrai: Mambefor +6282199056132
- Arborek Island: Arborek +6281344402542
- Rainsiwor Island: Rainsiwor +6281248410507
- Misool Island: Harapan Jaya +6281344353030
- Kri Island: Koranu Fyak +6281344174787 +6281248549459 | Yenkoranu +6282198498519 +6285354320928 +6285254555526 +628134454200 | Lumba-Lumba +6282198365087 +6282198467431 +6285244610524
- Gam Island: Metos +6282199347976 | Koridiri +6285399040888 +6281248569412 | Nudibranch +6282198667199
- Other Hotel and transit at Sorong: Book Here
- ATM: there is only one option provided ATM in Wasai: Bank Rakyat Indonesia. Acceptable for Mastercard, Maestro, Cirrus, ATM bersama and Link. Other card type such as Visa, Plus, etc please use ATM in Sorong area.
- Most Popular area: Wayag (the big of Pianemo), Pianemo, Kabui Bay, Arborek, Kri, Mansua
- Travel from Bali or Ubud area please contact to: Bali Om Jalan Bisma No. 3 Ubud 80571 Bali Indonesia, Phone: +62 8223 739 7076